Sebasco Harbor/Week 60


What a week it has been this past week!  I guess we say that often, but it was a week of a lot of work and we are happy to be in the water again and on our way.  Here’s how it all unfolded.

We left Castine last week Friday, Aug. 16, and anchored that night in Port Clyde, ME, an anchorage area we had been at on our way to Bar Harbor.  This time, however, we encountered fog!  We have never been in fog as thick as it was that afternoon.  About an hour before we pulled into Port Clyde we saw the fog roll in and we did not see anything else, shore included, until we were almost into the harbor.  We passed islands and other boats within a quarter of a mile of us and could not see them at all.  We couldn’t see any more than a boat length all around us, but thankfully with our radar and chartplotter and a careful eye on lobster buoys we made it in without incident.  As we entered the harbor the fog lifted and we were able to worm our way through the mooring area to where we could put down our anchor for the night.  Whew! 

We had a good night of sleep at Port Clyde and the next morning, Saturday, we headed for Southport.  This is where Hodgdon Yacht Services facilities are and we were scheduled to get hauled out on Monday, Aug. 19.  It was a wonderful trip along the coast of Maine and the fog of the day before was totally non-existent making it a great day.  As we only had to go 23 miles we didn’t have to get up too early, but we still were under way by 9:15 am and took a route that brought us by Boothbay Harbor and then through the Southport Swing Bridge.  Beautiful area!

We had a wonderfully relaxed day on Sunday, Aug. 18, and then were all set for haul-out on Monday, Aug. 19.  The boat came out of the water at noon (we had to wait until the tide was high enough) with no difficulties, despite my having to back the boat into the well, and by 1:30 pm the boat was all situated on jackstands and ready to be painted.  The main reason we had the boat hauled out of the water was to change the type of bottom paint to a different kind that will hopefully not allow nearly as much, if any, bottom growth to attach to the boat.  Because this is a different kind of paint than what was on there already I wanted to get three coats of paint on, meaning we would be out of the water for three of four days. 

The next three days were filled with a ton of activity on the boat.  By the end of the day on Monday I had totally sanded and cleaned the entire bottom of the boat – thanks to the use of Bob Cline’s electric sander and dry-vac. The boatyard is quite fussy about using a vacuum sanding system, so the dry-vac was necessary to get the job done. 

Tuesday was a spectacularly sunny day that enabled me to get two coats of paint on the bottom of the boat, complete with waiting six hours between coats – each coat of paint took about 2.5 hours to apply.  I got the final third coat of paint on on Wednesday morning, and two hours after I was done the rain started.  Amazing that I was able to get all three coats done before having to worry about rain!  Thank you, God!

In between the painting I was able to get other things done.  I installed a new smaller diameter outhaul line, installed new zinc anodes, cleaned and lubed the knotmeter impeller and completely washed the boat deck and cockpit.  I even was able to wash the hull of the boat and got rid of the remaining stains of the ICW and applied wax. Sharon kept busy with doing provisions, cleaning areas we typically don’t get to, doing tons of laundry, and even washed the cockpit cushion covers!

On Thursday, Aug. 22, the boat was launched at 3:00 pm (again, had to wait for a higher tide) and we were soon once again at anchor.  That evening we reflected on how nice it was to be in the water again as we really missed the feeling of the movement of the boat in the water. 

This morning, Friday, we left Southport at 10:00 am and headed south once again (actually west, but we still think of this whole return trip as heading south).  Bob and Mary Cline, the good friends we have been traveling with, had left on their boat, Winsome, the day before and were waiting for us to join them in Sebasco.  It was only about a 16 mile trip so we arrived here in beautiful Sebasco Harbor around 12:30 pm.  This afternoon was spent paddle boarding, taking a hike and then we had dinner together ashore this evening.

A week from tomorrow we will be in Boston, so in the meantime we will be traveling the next day or so with the Clines and then will continue on our own.  We have so enjoyed spending time with Bob and Mary and we will greatly miss them as we continue on our journey.  Sharon created and crafted a textile hanging based on a picture of Port Clyde over the past couple of weeks and it was with delight she was able to present it to them at dinner this evening as a small token of our thanks for taking us under their wings this past number of weeks. 

Adventures Await!!



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *