Heading Out/Week 48


We are back in Beaufort, SC!  What a tremendous trip back to Michigan we had!  We saw family both on my side and on Sharon’s side so it was great.  And we had a wonderful 80th Birthday celebration for my Mom, complete with seeing extended family members we hadn’t seen for a long time.  We are thankful for the years God has given to my Mom and for the good health she continues to have. 

Our daughter and son-in-law, Lisa and Ryan, were amazing hosts to us back at home and they made us feel so welcomed and comfortable.  It was great spending time with them in sharing stories both of us and of them. 

We also got together with many of our friends, although we didn’t have time enough to see all those we wanted to connect with.  We were able to get to the Muskegon Yacht Club, our home port, for the Commodore’s Reception and it was great to see many friends there.  It was also crazy to see how high the water is in Lake Michigan and Muskegon Lake – apparently a trend throughout the Great Lakes. 

On Tuesday, May 28, we left Grand Rapids and headed back to Beaufort, SC, to our boat.  We arrived in the afternoon of Wednesday, May 29, and were glad to see the boat wasn’t totally full of mold.  Apparently there has been a heat wave going on in this area and temperatures have been hovering in the high-90’s and low 100’s so we were a bit concerned about how the boat was doing all closed up.  But it did well, probably thanks to the many Damp-Rids we had placed throughout the boat to soak up the humidity. 

We were quite glad that the air conditioning (a/c) worked as it was 102 degrees when we arrived.  However, that was short lived as on Thursday morning it quit, with a potential temperature again of just over 100 degrees for the day.  When I say it quit, what I mean was that no water was being discharged overboard and the unit went into protection mode and shut off.  The a/c unit needs water sucked from outside of the boat to cool the a/c unit and when it isn’t cooled the unit overheats and shuts down.

To make a long story short, I had thought maybe the growth on the bottom of the boat was clogging the through hull so I was able to connect with a diver who came and scraped and scrubbed the bottom of the boat.  But this proved to not be the total issue.  After continuing the investigation we were able to figure out a small shrimp had managed to work its way into the a/c intake connectors and get stuck in the hose right before the strainer, thereby clogging up the water intake.  It was a bugger to cut the hose out and get a new one installed, but it worked and the a/c was restored!  Yay!  (The shrimp didn’t survive – sorry about that!)  Unfortunately we had to do all this with it being 98 degrees in the boat, but it all ended well.

Prior to leaving for Michigan a couple of weeks ago, we had completed most of our larger projects on the boat, so we only had a few smaller ones to finish up before we leave Beaufort to head north up the ICW.  After dealing with the a/c issue yesterday we finished up those projects today, such as filling water tanks, fixing the forward head toilet seat, putting the knotmeter impeller back in, firing up the motor and everything else to make sure all is ok, etc., and we are set to leave tomorrow morning. 

Our plan is to leave at slack tide in the morning, Saturday, June 1, at around 8:00 am and see how far we get. We’re not sure we remember how to move the boat again, but hopefully it will come back to us!  J  It’s about 3 – 4 days of travel time to get to Georgetown, SC, where we will be hauling the boat out for the bottom painting, so we’ll see how it goes.  We unfortunately will not be stopping in Charleston, SC, as we had done on our way down the ICW as we would like now to keep going up the ICW.  I would imagine we’ll be out of the water in Georgetown for 2 – 3 days as I would also like to see if they could replace our cutlass bearing.  It depends on their schedule.  I don’t think it will take that long to paint the bottom, but we’ll see how much attention it will need prior to applying paint.

It has been a wonderful stay here at Lady’s Island Marina in Beaufort, SC.  But it feels like it’s time to get going again.  It’s really late as I’m writing this so am trying to keep it short, but it almost feels like it’s the start of another chapter of our journey.  And it’s a chapter that we have committed to enjoying it even more by not worrying about boat things but focusing on what we are seeing and experiencing as we move along.  I (Dave) have a huge tendency to worry and fret about the things that could go wrong and I often miss the things that are not going wrong.  I hope to write more about this, but suffice it to say that I would really like to marvel more at the things we are doing and seeing rather than fretting about the boat.  I hope I can!

Anyway, that’s it for us for now.  We’ll let you know how it goes as we head north. 

Adventures Await!!



2 Replies to “Heading Out/Week 48”

  1. Too bad there wasn’t a way to back flush that water inlet to rid it if of crud and creatures!! Why repaint the boat bottom??

    1. Even a backflush would not have helped as it was so stuck. Oh well!
      We are repainting the bottom as the effectiveness of it has gone so need to get another coat on. Too much growth sticking to the bottom.
      Hope you and your family are doing well!


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *